Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another hobby


I've been making furniture as a hobby for a few years now.  Usually, I make pieces inspired by mid-century modernism.  I've sold a few, but haven't pursued it for that purpose.  Here's the latest dresser.  Made it for the wife. It's the first dresser I've done and it wasn't easy.  Even now I think, "that should only take a day to build"  Wrong.  Took most of my afternoons for the better part of a week.  Anyway, it's influenced by one of my favorite furniture designers Paul McCobb.

Paint and router details make for interesting contrast.








I made this coffee table about a year ago.  Brazilian cherry and a center strip of walnut. Sprayed it with clear lacquer.  Over the years the color will turn a warm deep red/orange.  Notice the legs.  I used them as a template for the dresser.  They are a pain to make, but I love the way they flow.  

In the background of this pic (just past the dog bed) you can see a little side table.  That's made with slats and is very George Nelson.  Made that in about 20 min.



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely adore the dresser you made for Ami!! I love the color and details - the legs are so elegant, so strong, in their simplicity. You know how I feel about the coffee table and the slat pieces - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's an amazing piece and I LOVE it. : )

    ReplyDelete